Friday, July 06, 2007

Three more performances that changed my life.










Anyway, thes entries were part of the run-up to an exciting affair taking place tomorrow. It's still not too late to sign up, and I can't wait to read what you'll all be writing!

A few pieces of housekeeping for the blogathon tomorrow:
01. Anyone can write! You don’t need to have contacted me in advance to participate or anything, just as long as you have something to show on the 07/07/07, I shall link you.
02. I will accept late entries. I’m very understanding, and realise that people will have things to do that may prevent them from getting the article done exactly tomorrow. However, what I will say is that the earlier the entry, the more people are likely to read it because it will have had longer coverage on my blog.
03. Multiple entries are fine. Post me the links and I'll credit all of them.
04. YouTube tributes, poems, essays, are all fine. I encourage diversity!
05. If you’re doing the same performance as someone else, no matter! Even if the performances are the same, I doubt they changed your life for same reasons. So don’t stress.
06. In your post, you should link to me as the blogathon HQ. I’ll have the master post up tomorrow.
07. Enjoy! This is supposed to be fun. And I reckon it shall be. And spread the love. Life is like the movies.

Three more performances that changed my life. In a good way, of course. As good as the avatars:
04. Tom Hulce as Mozart in Amadeus
I saw this movie for the first time in the Easter of 2004. One of my very musical friends who I admired a lot introduced me to the film Amadeus, where the slight “deviation” from fact showed that excellence does not have to equate to truth. In Hulce’s portrayal of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, I learned that it is sometimes the naughtiest, the most different who are blessed with the greatest talents, and they must use those to lift people’s spirits through art. You have no idea how much this inspired me; I felt that I, always somewhat of a round peg for the square hole, could do something, anything, to entertain and cheer up the entire world. Amadeus is in my personal top 10 of all time, it was wildly entertaining and gave a great interest into a genius, but I loved it also because I saw something of myself in Hulce and his great eccentricity. His child-like mannerisms (the riotous giggle, the silly childish games) are testament not only to his acting skills, but to Forman's exceptional direction and vision, and on watching him, I truly became interested in music. I looked into every type of music I could find, from the great classical composers to Edith Piaf, Spice Girls, The Beatles, anyone and everyone. But the greatest impact Hulce’s performance had on me was making me believe that one day, hopefully, I’ll be able to use my “artistic genius” to change the world. Maybe??


03. Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s
As ridiculous as this may sound, this was the movie performance that made me appreciate my mates more. It was a sleepover, and we had already seen Cold Mountain, which polarized us (half of us loved it, the other half had been playing cards throughout and found it a snoreathon), and the second film we’d watched, Citizen Kane, had sent all but one into a bored stupor. So, naturally, I was a little cautious in showing one of my favourite movies, containing my favourite actresses to them, at the risk that they’d diss Hepburn, and, in essence, diss me.

I really needn’t have worried. They loved it. In Breakfast at Tiffany’s Audrey is the very epitome of 1960s chic and her Holly captures the essence of an era when the naughty goings on (see my review of The Seven Year Itch) were very implicit. After we saw the movie, we discussed Audrey, the character of Holly Golightly, and how the movie would have turned out had Truman Capote got what he wanted, and Marilyn Monroe played Holly. Anyway, I was just so deliriously happy that there was one movie, and one performance that my friends could all find common ground on, I remember this day clearly still. Afterwards, I came to appreciate my friends a lot more, feel less intellectually detached, and I’m glad I did, because our friendships have developed and bloomed as a result. And we all decided that we would all like a happy ending as sweet as the one Holly Golightly got.

02. Tim Robbins as Andy in The Shawshank Redemption
This was always going to be on here! Interestingly, it took me a second viewing of Shawshank to truly appreciate all the qualities of Darabont’s masterpiece and make it my number 1 film of all time. And I’ve basically lived my life on the qualities I saw in Robbins’ performance as Andy – a sense of hope, mixed with pragmatism, quiet self-belief and inner strength, and perhaps most importantly, remembering to never give up. I actually aspire to be like Andy (for his qualities, not getting convicted for a crime I didn’t commit – duh!), and even in the most testing times in life, and sorriest school days, I will always TRY to think “What would Andy do?” and all is not so bad. “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies" is an important lesson I have learnt from films, and it was Tim Robbins who taught me it.


Shaw.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

great entries. I bet it's going to be Brando tomorrow.

Speaking Piaf, have you seen La vie en Rose? did you like it?

Emma said...

Maybe it will be him, or maybe it will be someone totally unexpected.

I have indeed seen the movie. I thought Cotillard was excellent (though the hype has started to have the "Rooney" effect on her now), but the film itself was rather blah. And I adore Piaf!

Anonymous said...

Hey Emma, have you seen this site?

http://www.take-a-piano-sheet-music-break.com/free-piano-sheet-music.html

Catherine said...

Woop, I've already posted my entry. Couldn't help myself! Can't wait to read them all. This isn't the Master POost, right?

Emma said...

@ Catherine - 'tis fine, it'll be good to have some early entries to put on the master post. Kenda @ Jake Weird's done hers too, so I have two entries already for it. Very pleased.

And nope, heehee, the master post will be on tomorrow.

Kayleigh said...

Ive typed my rather rubbish entry all up and shall post it tomorrow...i loved Tom Hulce in Amadeus...my laugh is identical to his in that film...

VW said...

I really liked what you said about Robbins' performance of Andy. Very heart felt.

I've only just stumbled upon your blog via one of your readers. If I can come up with something, can I post to your blogathon?

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Hi!
I have my post ready.
I'm thrilled, it's the first blogathon that has ever sparked any interest in me to be part of it.

DL said...

Just finished my post and it is now up over at my blog.

I cannot wait to read all these posts tomorrow. :D

Glenn Dunks said...

I'm posting mine tomorrow. So, technically the 8th, but whatever. I'm swamped at the moment and don't have enough time to type it out right now.